Timeline: 1915-1924 1925-1934 1935-1944 1945-1954 1955-1964 1965-1974 1975-1984 1985-1994 1995-2005

 

"On a motion by C.H. Mayo, seconded by James Drake and unanimously carried the 2 first year's university courses be given at Rochester High School. On a motion by Jas Drake, seconded by C.H.Mayo. Supt. H.A. Johnson be empowered to consult with President Vincent and to secure such leaders as will be needed to carry on this university work."

RCTC was created on motion by Dr. Charles Mayo in August of 1915.

Classes began on September 14, 1915 with 17 students. From 1915-17 the college was known as University Department or Southern University. For two years, the college occupied the Coffman Building which also housed the Rochester High School.

The 1915 faculty are composed of Winfred Bolcom, Mr. John Mack, Miss Jane Nesbit, and Miss Belle Comstock

 

Rochester Junior College's first commencement is in June of 1917 with 10 graduates including: Donald Twentyman, Lois Huney, Elizabeth Baihly, Russell Drake, Dorothy France, Ralph Van Zimmerman, Irene Neumeyer, Lee Bower, Ellis Ehret and Alice Anderson.
In 1915 tuition is $200 per year. In the 1919 - 20 academic year tuition is reduced from $200 to $100.

The college's first name change occurs in 1917 when Rochester Junior College is born.

The first college catalog published in 1920.
The school colors of blue and gold are adopted in 1920.

The first men's basketball team is formed in 1921.

Dean R.R. Shumway of University of Minnesota conducts its first investigation of the Junior College in April 1921.
The Student Council is formed in 1921.
The College's first dramatic play is Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest and is performed April 7, 1921.

The 1923-24 school year comic operetta Fire Prince performed.

The first Orchestra is formed in December 1921 and the first performance is February 23, 1923.

Men's football is established in 1922; the squad wins its first game 25-6 over Pillsbury Academy.

The Golden R Award is established in 1922 to recognize meritorious service to a student(s) most exemplifying RJC. In 1923, Leone Furtney is the individual award recipient.

The Booster Cup Award is established in 1923. It's given to a student who is the school's best booster - Franklin Briese is first. The Booster Cup in the early sixties became known as the Charles Singley Booster Cup.

A 60 credit Associate of Arts program is first offered in 1923.
The College's enrollment tops 100 in 1923.
 
 
 

Charles Singley joins the college staff as a chemistry instructor and coach in 1924.

 
 
 
 
 

 
Rochester Community and Technical College :: 851 30th Ave SE, Rochester, MN 55904-4999
General Info: (507) 285-7210 or 1-800-247-1296 / TTY Relay 1-800-627-3529 -- Contact Information
RCTC is a University Center Rochester partner and a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system.
© 2005 Rochester Community and Technical College (RCTC), All rights reserved. RCTC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity educator and employer.