» Academic Affairs «
Assessment of Student Learning
Welcome to RCTC's Assessment of Student Learning page. In the fall 2016 semester, RCTC started an ambitious Institutional Assessment Plan (IAP), a three-year commitment to embed student learning assessment as part of RCTC’s culture. There are three parts to the IAP.
Faculty will collaborate to assess student learning outcomes (SLOs) in their classrooms as part of the “Closing the Loop” action project. They will also assess SLOs at the shared-course level. Finally, they will develop discipline/program learning outcomes and begin mapping their curriculum.
Student affairs staff will develop SLOs to measure student learning in their work areas. They will also use those SLOs to assess their work areas as part of the “Closing the Loop” action project.
Finally, all faculty and college staff will use RCTC’s college core learning outcomes (CLOs) to assess student learning throughout the college.
RCTC was accepted into The Higher Learning Commission’s Assessment Academy in the summer of 2016. The Academy is a multi-year commitment as well. As an Academy member, RCTC will share its IAP progress with others, get guidance, and continuously improve its IAP processes. As a result, over the next few years RCTC will continue to develop the IAP with sustained resources, time, and training for faculty and staff.
AQIP Action Project Reviews
RCTC is a member of the AQIP branch of the Higher Learning Commission. As part of our accreditation requirements, we have to do action projects about assessment. These projects are regularly reviewed by The Higher Learning Commission. In March, 2017, we received strong reviews for our Closing the Loop action project and our Strategic Enrollment Management action project. You can read the full reviews below.
- March, 2017, Action Project Review for Closing the Loop
- March, 2017, Action Project Review for Strategic Enrollment Management
Overview of assessment at RCTC
For a brief overview that explains how assessment, action, strategic plan alignment, and accreditation all fit together, click on the image below.
RCTC’s college-wide assessment processes
- Institutional Assessment Plan complete report
- “Closing the Loop” Action Project and December 2016 "Closing the Loop" Action Project Update
- Assessment Academy application
College Core Outcomes
The following links provide information on RCTC's Core Outcomes, the skills we develop in all of our students, inside and outside the classroom.
- RCTC's Core Student Learning Outcomes
- Aesthetic Response Rubric
- Aesthetic Response Video
- Critical Thinking Rubric
- Critical Thinking Video
- Communication Rubric
- Communication Video
- Civic Responsibility Rubric
- Civic Responsibility Video
- Global Awareness and Diversity Rubric
- Global Awareness and Diversity Video
- Personal and Professional Accountability Rubric
- Personal and Professional Accountability Video
- Faculty assessment home page
- Assessment Terminology and References
- Responsive Rubrics (this site is no longer supported, but you can still use it)
Assessment of Student Learning (ASL) Committee Meeting Minutes