» Admissions index «

I-20 Processing Fee

I-20 Fee for F-1 Visa Applicants

Effective September 1, 2004:

The Department of Homeland Security will begin collecting a processing fee for those students who enter the United States as a student or exchange visitor with a Form I-20 or DS-019 dated on or after September 1, 2004.

How much is the fee?

  • The fee for issuing an I-20 after September 1, 2008 for F-1 students is $200.00

When do I pay the fee?

  • Applicants who require a visa to enter the United States must pay the fee before going to the U.S. embassy or consulate for their visa interview
  • Applicants who are citizens of Canada, Bermuda, Bahamas or residents of certain other islands must pay the fee before appearing at the U.S. Port of Entry
  • Non immigrants currently in the United Statues who apply for student or exchange visitor status must pay the fee prior to filing their change of status application.

How do I pay the fee?

Note: You must have your I-20 from RCTC before completing the I-901 Form.

  • The $200 fee can paid through the Internet at www.fmjfee.com. Use a credit card and complete the online Form I-901.
  • The $200 fee can be paid through the mail. Submit a completed Form I-901 and a check or money order drawn on a U.S. bank and payable in U.S. currency
  • The fee can also be paid through a sponsor

When must I pay this fee?

  • The fee must be paid at least three business days prior to your visa interview for both Internet and mail payments.

How will the government know I have paid?

  • Your payment will be recorded in SEVIS. You should also bring paper I-797 or the Internet-generated receipt to your visa interview.

Do continuing students have to pay the $200 fee?

Continuing students must pay the $200.00 fee when:

  • They file an application for reinstatement when they have been out of status for more than five months
  • They apply for a new visa or return to the United States after an absence of five months that did not involve authorized overseas study
  • They file an application for a change of status to an F, M, or J classification (except for changes between F-1 and F-3, or M-1 and M-3)

For additional information, please see:




Contact Information
(507) 285-7210 or 1‑800‑247‑1296
Rochester Community and Technical College
851 30th Ave SE :: Rochester, MN 55904-4999
Rochester Community and Technical College, a member of Minnesota State.
RCTC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity educator and employer.
Submit Website Feedback