Graduation Candidate Instructions
Assembly will be in the Performance Court. All candidates and graduates should arrive between 4:45 and 5:15pm. Use the east entrance to the Regional Sports Center directly off of the north parking lot and proceed to the check-in table.
4:45 - 5:15pm All graduates and candidates must report to the Regional Sports Center
- Check in at the registration table in the Performance Court.
- Verify the accuracy of the information on the card you receive.
- Print your name phonetically if you have a difficult sounding name.
- Hold on to this card until you approach the stage during the ceremony.
- Graduates and candidates will line up by program/major; there will be signs on the rows identifying programs of study.
- Line up alphabetically in the appropriate row; you will need to check with others in line to arrange yourselves accordingly.
- Important: Do not wander! When you have found your place, please remain in line and make adjustments as others need to step in.
- The processional will be led by the color guard, followed by the stage party, faculty, faculty marshals, and then graduates and candidates.
- Stay in rows of 2.
- Both lines will move around the back of the curtains and march in from the opposite side of the Field House.
- The color guard will post the colors while the stage party moves up the center aisle to watch. The faculty will create a gauntlet beginning at the center aisle and stand along the front of the bleachers. The graduates/candidates, led by faculty marshals, will proceed through the gauntlet and down the center aisle.
- It is important for students to move to their seats as quickly as possible so the ceremony can begin on time.
- When reaching the chairs, turn and face the stage.
- Remain standing until after the National Anthem.
- As you face the stage, you will be going up on the left and exiting on the right.
- Remain seated until it is your row's turn to walk to the stage; please try to stand together.
- Faculty members will lead the graduates and candidates to the stage.
- As the graduate/candidate before you is walking across the stage, hand your card to the announcer - proceed across the stage as your name is read.
- You will receive your diploma cover from the vice president; take it in your left hand and shake hands with President McClellon with your right. Your picture will be taken as you are shaking hands.
- When returning to your seats, remain standing until everyone in your row has received their diploma case and returned to their seat.
- When all candidates have been acknowledged and are presented to the audience, you may move your tassel from the right to the left side of your cap.
- At the conclusion of the ceremony, faculty marshals will lead the stage party out, followed by the faculty/staff and then the graduates.
- Once everyone is behind the stage, the curtain will be raised and the guests will have an opportunity to locate their graduates.
- You will not be a part of the processional.
- Check in at the registration table, then go directly to the Field House and join the band.
- When the time comes for you to receive your diploma, please step in line at the appropriate place according to your program of study.
Special Needs Accessibility:
- The Regional Sports Center is special needs-accessible; however, if you have special needs, please specify this on your online RSVP, so that specific accommodations may be arranged
- All participants are required to stay for the entire ceremony (approximately 2 hours in length)
- All participants are required to wear a cap and gown.
- Please help maintain the dignity of this special event by demonstrating appropriate, respectful behavior throughout the proceedings.
- There are no security services for coats, purses or other personal items. Once the candidates/graduates leave the Performance Court, it will be locked. No one should leave personal items in the Performance Court.
- Please remember to bring pins, hair pins and other such items you may need for securing caps.
- The Field House doors will not be closed before the processional this year but we recommend coming early in order to get the best seating.
- Be sure all cell phones and pagers are turned off or to silent mode prior to the start of the processional.
- This is YOUR moment - enjoy!
On behalf on the entire college community, CONGRATULATIONS!
Cap & Gown Distribution
Commencement: May 12, 2016 at 6:00pm
Distribution times will be available during Spring Semester. Please check back!
Graduation link: www.rctc.edu/admissions/html/graduation_commencement.html