Expect a global education.
Located in Rochester, MN, our community is known as a great place to live, work, and go to school. RCTC welcomes applicants from all over the world. International applicants are defined as persons seeking admission that are not U.S. Citizens and not U.S. Immigrants. Permanent residents, refugees, and political asylees are eligible to complete the general admission process only.
Dates and Deadlines
RCTC strongly encourages International Students to apply as early as possible to allow time for processing.
International Student applications are due to the International Student
Office no later than
• Stateside International Application Deadline; 30 days before start of term
• Overseas International Application Deadline; 60 days before start of term
English Proficiency Requirements
International students who wish to attend RCTC with an F-1 Student Visa must prove English language proficiency. There are several ways to provide this.
- Attend and graduate from an accredited United States secondary or
post secondary institution, such as a US high school, college or university.
- Satisfactorily complete college-level English coursework at an accredited
US post secondary institution
- Satisfactorily complete Level 8 at one of the ELS Language Centers
- Take and achieve a passing score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or equivalent evaluation.
The minimum score required for admission to RCTC on the written TOEFL is 450. CBT based TOEFL is 133, or IBT score of 48.
RCTC’s school code for TOEFL is 6610. Your TOEFL results must be sent directly from the testing center to RCTC.
Get more information the price of and testing locations for the TOEFL.
College and City Information
Learn more about why our college and community are a world-class place to get your education.
Submit additional required International Documents:
- Documentation required for Admission
- Transfer Authorization Form (if you are transferring within the US)
It is recommended that persons traveling from overseas apply three full months prior to the start date. See the Academic Calendar for starting dates of semesters.
Visa and Passport Information
Before you make travel plans, check your admission papers to be sure of the expected arrival date. The arrival date is the date that you will be expected to be on campus for orientation, so be sure to arrange travel plans which enable you to be at RCTC by the date noted on your I-20.
Students may not arrive in the United States more than thirty (30) days before the start date listed on their I-20.
Make certain your passport is valid and that you have obtained your F-1 visa from a U.S. embassy or consulate.
There is a $200 processing fee for the I-20 that all F-1 students must pay prior to making their visa appointment. This fee is paid directly to USCIS and should not be sent to RCTC.
For more information on this $200 processing fee, please see: www.fmjfee.com
Transferring to RCTC
US College/ University
If you are currently an international student at another U.S. institution and would like to transfer to RCTC, you will need to complete the following:
- International Student Application
- Financial Information form
- Official transcripts from all U.S. universities attended
- Evidence of your English Language proficiency
- Transfer release form (to be completed by your current university)
If you are approved for transfer, you will need to have the International Admissions Office at your initial school “release” your SEVIS record from that institution. After being released by the initial institution, RCTC can create your new I-20.
RCTC accepts college-level credits completed at accredited colleges. Upon acceptance to RCTC, you will need to meet with a Student Advisor to determine your course of study.
Transfer students may satisfy the English Proficiency requirement by
providing evidence of completion of one semester of freshman English
at the initial school.
We require all students who are hoping to transfer courses from a university outside of the United States to have their foreign coursework evaluated by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) approved professional agency. This evaluation must be a course by course evaluation.
There are several agencies you may choose from to complete this evaluation. Two examples are:
Credit evaluations must be sent to RCTC as official, unopened copies direct from the agency. Our mailing address is:
RCTC Admissions Department
Rochester Community and Technical College
851 30th Avenue SE
Rochester, MN 55904-4999
Health Insurance Costs:
Health insurance is mandatory for all F-1 students. Separate from tuition and fees the insurance costs are listed below must be paid in full at the time of enrollment. A payment plan is not available for health insurance.
The only means of waiving RCTC’s mandatory health insurance requirement is to demonstrate that you have current health insurance coverage though another sponsoring agency or government.
2010-11 examples of the costs of the RCTC health insurance policy are:
Yearly Coverage Example:
Each Child: $1693.00
(spring and summer option is available for students beginning in the Spring 2011).
RCTC’s insurance plan is underwritten by The Mega Life and Health Insurance Company.
Web Site: www.studentresources.net
Phone Number: 1-800-767-0700.
Registering with International Student Services Upon Arrival at RCTC
Once international students have arrived at RCTC, they should report to the International Student Office: SS134
The International Student Office will need to electronically inform SEVIS of each student's arrival. This must be done within 20 days of the student's arrival or their student status could be affected.
The International Student Club (ISC) welcomes all International Students!
The ISC is an on-campus club that represents all international students
and is open to all. The ISC performs many functions with the International
students at RCTC, such as:
• Encouraging cultural diversity
• Providing an arena for International Students to form friendships and support each other
• Planning International student trips and fund-raisers
• Informing students about upcoming international events
All International students are encouraged to join the ISC and participate
in club meetings and activities.
International Student Advisor:
Glen Saponari, International Student Club Advisor
Meetings are held approximately 2 times per month.
Some events hosted and attended by the International Student Club include:
- Global Connections
- Ronald McDonald House Dinners
- Holiday fund-raisers
- Rochester International Association World Festival
- Rochester Parade
- Academic Calendar
- Working on Campus
- International Student Club
- Housing Information
- RCTC is a commuter college and there is no dormitory housing
on campus. There is an apartment complex on the college property that
provides some housing for students. Many students find other apartment
housing throughout the city. It is the student responsibility to find housing.
- RCTC is a commuter college and there is no dormitory housing on campus. There is an apartment complex on the college property that provides some housing for students. Many students find other apartment housing throughout the city. It is the student responsibility to find housing.
- Rochester City Lines Bus Information
- United States Customs and Immigrations Service (USCIS)
- Immigration Forms and Fee Information
- United States Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
- Student and Exchange Visitor Information Service (SEVIS)
- Social Security Online
- Obtaining your MN Driver's License
The International Student Office is located in the Counseling Center of the RCTC / UCR campus, Office # SS134.
International Student Services
851 30th Avenue SE
Rochester, MN 55904-4999
Attention: Glen Saponari, International Student Advisor
The International Student Office is open year-round. Office hours are posted on the door of SS134. Additionally, the Director of Admissions for RCTC is available for assistance when the International Student Office is closed. RCTC is closed during several holidays throughout the year including the last week of each calendar year. The International Admissions Office telephone number is 1-507-280-5511.
Appointments are not necessary to visit the International Student Office.
Call 507-280-5511 or e-mail Glen.Saponari@rctc.edu to schedule and appointment.
Glen Saponari is the International Student Advisor for RCTC.
Phone: 1-507-280-5511 or 1-800-247-1296 ext. 5511