» eServices «

Residency and Tuition Rate Determination

What is a "non-resident tuition rate"?
Because RCTC is a public college, the State of Minnesota provides substantial funding for its operations. For every dollar a student pays, the State of Minnesota pays almost two dollars to the college. The state has determined that non-residents will pay more for tuition. Being charged non-resident rates indicates that you are not viewed as a Minnesota resident under current state regulations.

Why am I being charged non-resident rates?
When you applied for admission to the college, we asked you to report your state of residency. If you told us that you are not a Minnesota resident or if you did not provide any answer, you were automatically reported as a non-resident student. Further, if you reported that you have been a resident of Minnesota for less than 12 months, state regulations require that we report your status as non-resident. If at any time you notify the college that your permanent home address is located outside of Minnesota, you will be considered a non-resident student.

Please note that the regulations for establishing residency differ for financial aid purposes. For example, a person who is not considered a resident for tuition purposes may be considered a Minnesota resident for state grant qualification. These are the regulations for establishing tuition at all public MN colleges:

  • To be considered an in-state student, you must have indicated that you were a MN resident for one full year prior to applying to the college
  • If you are a dependent minor and your parents/guardians were residing in MN at the time of your application for admission to the college you may qualify for in-state tuition rates
  • If you have been re-located to MN due to a job-transfer you may qualify for in-state tuition rates
  • If you are actively in the armed services and have been stationed in MN you may qualify for in-state tuition rates.

Establishing Domicile in Minnesota:
Students who have lived in Minnesota for one full year, and who did not move to the state for the purpose of attending college, may appeal for in-state tuition rates by demonstrating domicile in Minnesota before the beginning of any academic term. Such appeals require a preponderance of supporting evidence to document residence in Minnesota for at least one full year. Falsification of any information so as to obtain resident tuition rates is a serious offense and subjects the student to suspension, payment of monies owed, or both.

Students wishing to make such an appeal should begin by completing the Establishing Domicile form.

Contact Information
(507) 285-7210 or 1‑800‑247‑1296
Rochester Community and Technical College
851 30th Ave SE :: Rochester, MN 55904-4999
Rochester Community and Technical College, a member of Minnesota State.
RCTC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity educator and employer.
Submit Website Feedback