- About Online Learning
- Online Programs
- Administrative Assistant - Cert, Dipl, AS, AAS
- Administrative Assistant Refresher - Cert
- Coding - Dipl
- Customer Service Administrative Specialist - Dipl, Cert
- Web Design and Development - AS
- Health Care Informatics - Cert
- Health Information Technology - AAS
- Medical Secretary - AS, AAS
- Medical Transcription - Dipl, Cert
- Liberal Arts (generals for transfer) - AA
- Software Application Specialist - Cert
- Success Tips
- Assignment Calculator
- Disability Services Information
- Online Education Saving Calculator
- Financial Aid Estimator
- Frequently Asked Questions
- GPA Calculator
- GPS Life Plan
- How to Communicate With Faculty
- Minnesota Transfer
- MnLC Online Support Center
- Online Readiness Quiz
- Sample Class
- Study Skills
- Workplace to College Transition
- Getting Started
- Step 1 - Apply to College
- Step 2 - Apply for grants, Loans and Work Study
- Step 3 - Learn about the New Student Assessment
- Step 4 - Complete STAR Orientation and Assessment
- Step 5 - Meet with Your Advisor to Plan
- Step 6 - Register for Classes
- Step 7 - Get Your Student ID/Library Card
- Step 8 - Buy Your Books
- Step 9 - Log in to Email/D2L
- Step 10 - Check Your Technology
New Student Assessment
All new students are required to complete The Accuplacer assessment testing. The Accuplacer s a test of reading, writing, and mathematics that Rochester Community and Technical College (RCTC) uses to determine how your skill levels meet course prerequisites to ensure your success in college.
Students who have not successfully completed English and Math college coursework at a NCA Accredited school are required to attend an on campus assessment testing unless they live so far away from our campus that taking the test here is not feasible. It may be possible to take the test at another location. Fellow Minnesota State College and University System institutions may allow students to complete the test at their institution even though they will attend RCTC. Contact the Welcome Center at (507) 285-7557 for more information.
STAR Orientation - Online or On Campus?
RCTC offers entirely online students the option to complete orientation and registration on campus or entirely online. The orientation is designed to ensure you are prepared to succeed at RCTC. Registration introduces you to an essential tool to be used during your enrollment - the college web portal.
If RCTC is the closest campus to your home, and you have not completed English and Math college coursework at a NCA Accredited school, it is in your best interest to attend an on-campus orientation. You can complete both the Accuplacer assessment, complete orientation, and register in one visit. Evening sessions are available. All other students may complete the STAR Orientation online.
An invitation to STAR Orientation will be sent to you via mail or e-mail after your acceptance to RCTC.