here for a PDF copy of this policy.
ASSESSMENT FOR COLLEGE READINESS
(MnSCU Policy 3.3)
Rochester Community and Technical College requires all students to complete an incoming student assessment before registering for their seventh cumulative semester credit. The student assessment will include basic measures of reading comprehension, writing, and mathematics.
Students who score below the minimum standard are required to take developmental education before enrolling in specific courses or programs of study. The specific courses or programs of study that require minimum standards will be identified by program coordinators/leaders and approved by the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
Part 1. Exceptions: Students will be
exempted from completing the assessment if they can:
• Verify completion of a baccalaureate or graduate degree.
• Prove successful completion of college algebra and/or college composition.
• Present documentation of parallel scores on a comparable test.
• Document a score at or above twenty-four (24) on the ACT English subtest or who score at or above twenty-four (24) on the ACT Reading subtest. See information below related to Mathematics scores:
ACT Score = Placement
Less than 22 = Take the ASAP test
22-23 = MATH 0099, 1101, or 1111
24 and above = MATH 1113, 1115, or 2208
28 and above = MATH 1117 or ASAP test 4 to place higher
• Students enrolled in courses or programs specifically designated as customized training or continuing education will be exempted from completing the assessment.
Part 2. Non-Native English Speaking: Non-Native English speaking students may take an alternate appropriate measure for assessing college readiness.
Date of Implementation: Fall Semester 1999
Date of Adoption: 6/9/97
Revisions Adopted: 3/8/05
Last Updated: August 14, 2015