» Carpentry Program Home «
Upon completion of the Carpentry program at RCTC, students will achieve the following outcomes:
- Understand and use related math and blueprint reading to estimate footings, concrete floors, slabs, concrete block, and brick and mortar.
- Analyze job conditions and work specification.
- Interpret building codes and specifications.
- Estimate, set up and pour concrete driveway.
- Setup, pour and finish garage floor.
- Estimate brick and mortar and build corner posts, wall intersections, 2x4 wall headers, 2x6 wall headers and interior wall headers.
- Cut Studs, cripple studs, and trimmers and assemble and raise walls.
- Explain operational procedures and demonstrate safe operation of power planers, power routers, belt sanders, finish sanders, power screwdrivers, pneumatic nailers, jointer, radial arm saws, table saw, power miter saw, band saw, drill press, and planer.
- Describe common types of frame construction. masonry construction, and detail drawings, floor systems, wall systems, headers, window and door framing, roof shingles, aluminum and vinyl siding, decking choices.
- Read/Interpret sectional drawings, interior detail drawings, exterior detail drawings, plot plans and floor plans.
- Install grinders and columns, bearing walls, floor joists, exterior walls, interior walls, sub floors, headers, studs and cripple studs.
- Install valances, door hardware, drawer hardware, vanities, medicine cabinets, Formica counter tops.
- Install corner boards and prepares sidewalls for siding, and estimate and apply aluminum and vinyl siding, soffit, facia, windows and exterior doors.
- Estimate required amounts of siding.
- Install deck frame, deck boards and deck railings.
- Prepare walls for drywall and install drywall.
- Layout/Install roof openings, roof overhangs, W trusses, soffit and facia.
- Prepare for finish work, construct/install wall cabinets, moldings, doors, drawers, drawer guides, cornice, and laminates.