» Communication Studies «
Upon completion of the Communications program at RCTC, students will achieve the following outcomes:
- Demonstrate communication skills appropriate for diverse settings.
- Adapt messages to specific audiences.
- Explain small group norms and roles.
- Apply appropriate verbal and nonverbal strategies.
- Utilize strategies to reduce communication apprehension.
- Evaluate and reflect on the effectiveness of their communication choices in their personal and professional lives.
- Recognize and employ effective interpersonal communication techniques (i.e., assertive messages, defensiveness reduction, supportive listening behaviors, escalation and de-escalation strategies).
- Identify various types of nonverbal communication, including voice, eye contact, facial expressions, artifacts and body movement.
- Participate effectively in teams/groups with an emphasis on listening, critical and reflective thinking and conflict management.
- Recognize effective and ineffective strategies of other communicators.
- Select appropriate communication choices for specific/diverse audiences (i.e., intercultural, technology/media, gender, and generations) and varying situational contexts (i.e., family, friendship, romantic relationships, education, workplace).