» Human Services Program Home «
Qualities of a Human Services Technician
Would You Make A Good Human Services Technician?
This may be a difficult question to answer, but these questions might help:
- Do you enjoy working with people?
- How well do you accept people who are different than yourself?
- Do you feel committed to the concept of increasing other's independence?
- Have you had experience providing direct care to others?
- Are you inquisitive, eager to learn new ideas and techniques?
- Are you inspired to stand up for and speak for those who are unable to do so?
- Do you have a desire to help others improve their quality of life?
"THE PROGRAM FOR PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT PEOPLE"
CANDIDATES SHOULD POSSESS:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Sensitivity to the needs of others
- Organizational skills
- A strong sense of self
- The ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- A friendly, positive attitude
- The ability to be a good team member
- An energetic manner
- Good judgment and decision making skills
- A personality style which enjoys all types of people
Human Services careers are very fulfilling. There are few things as rewarding as seeing a client become less dependent, healthier, living life to his/her fullest potential and enjoying the things we all want and need to make us feel valued and worthwhile.