» Surgical Technology Home «
Thank you for your interest in Surgical Technology at RCTC. To be considered for Fall 2014, please submit an application
between January 1, 2014 and February 15, 2014.
MAKE SURE you have read and understand the Surgical Technology Second Year Selection Process before filling out the
application for the ST program.
Second Year Selection Process:
- Application for the second year must be completed by February 15. The form will be available on the Surgical Technology website (see below). The application must be turned in to the Admissions Office. The Surgical Technology application is available in pdf format.
- Up to twenty-five students will be accepted into the second year based on
- Priority for Admission into the second year will be given to
students who have completed all first year classes or will have completed all
first year classes by the end of spring semester.
- Students who complete their classes during summer school will be considered on a space available basis.
- A minimum grade of 2.0 (C) in each first year class is required.
- Overall GPA 2.0.
- Three points will be given for each of the following classes completed:
BIOL 1217, BIOL 1218, CHEM 1101, BTEC 1600 and NA 1610. One point will be given for each other first-year course completed.
- The semester you declared Surgical Technology as your major.
- If all criteria are equal, program cumulative GPA will be used.
- Students will be notified of admission into second year before Fall semester registration.
- Priority for Admission into the second year will be given to students who have completed all first year classes or will have completed all first year classes by the end of spring semester.
Additional Second-Year Requirements
- Must be certified in Basic Life Support for the Healthcare Provider including adult, infant and child CPR and AED from the American Heart Association OR CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuers and Healthcare Providers from the American Red Cross.
- Meet health requirements: completed health assessment, immunizations, including annual Mantoux and Hepatitis B vaccination series.
- Document proof of health insurance.
- Complete criminal background study as required by State of Minnesota.
- Complete a national background study as required by the Mayo School of Health Sciences (MSHS).
- If the clinical facilities will not accept a student based on either background study, the student will not be allowed to continue in the program.
- Must complete each Surgical Technology sequence course with a minimum grade of 2.0.
- As part of the requirements to graduate from the Surgical Technology Program, students must take the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) Certifying Examination for Surgical Technologists.
- Upon successful completion of the program, an Associate of Applied Science degree will be awarded.
Readmission to the Surgical Technology Program
Students who leave the ST Program before completion and wish to return at a later date, will be subject to the following criteria:
- Students who fail or withdraw failing from the ST Program courses will not be automatically readmitted.
- Readmission to the ST Program will be on a space available basis.
- The student must contact Eric Sime by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or set up an appointment with Eric by calling 507-285-7260 to discuss re-entry into the ST Program.
- You need FREE adobe Acrobat Reader* installed on your computer to properly view the application.
- Download the Surgical Technology application starting January 1, 2014.
- Completely fill out the application form.
- Mail to:
Rochester Community and Technical College
851 30th Ave SE
Rochester, MN 55904-4999
Application for Fall 2014 will be available starting January 1, 2014.
Last Updated: March 5, 2014