» Surgical Technology «
Upon completion of the Surgical Technology program at RCTC, students will achieve the following outcomes:
- Know the principles underlying the profession of surgical technology, including anatomy and pathophysiology of the human body, microbiology, pharmacology, and operating room skills, techniques, instrumentation, equipment and supplies.
- Demonstrate knowledge and application of the principles of aseptic technique and basic case preparation skills primarily in the sterile role.
- Acquire skills for self-directed life-long learning in the field of surgical technology.
- Acquire practical skills required to work as a competent surgical technologist in the preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative phases of surgical case management.
- Apply these skills for appropriate, compassionate, and safe care of the patient in the operating room.
- Understand the use of quality improvement techniques to enhance the accuracy and appropriateness of surgical technology.
- Understand the role of a surgical technologist as part of an operating room team providing comprehensive care for patients.
- Commit to practice according to the ethical principles and legal requirements of the profession of surgical technology.
- Exhibit appropriate and professional skills of interpersonal communication with all patients and other members of the health care team.
Last Updated: May 21, 2015