» Veterinary Technician «
Upon completion of the Veterinary Technician program at RCTC, students will achieve the following outcomes:
- Participate in facility management utilizing traditional and electronic media and appropriate veterinary medical terminology and abbreviations.
- Communicate in a professional manner in all formats - written, oral, non-verbal, and electronic.
- Safely and effectively administer and dispense prescribed drugs to patients.
- Demonstrate and perform patient assessment techniques in a variety of animal species.
- Understand and demonstrate husbandry, nutrition, therapeutic and dentistry techniques appropriate to various animal species.
- Safely and effectively manage and maintain patients in all phases of anesthesia.
- Safely and effectively select, utilize and maintain anesthetic delivery and monitoring instruments and equipment.
- Understand and integrate all aspects of patient management for common surgical procedures in a variety of animal species.
- Understand and provide the appropriate instruments, supplies and environment to maintain asepsis during surgical procedures.
- Demonstrate knowledge of proper handling, packaging and storage of specimens for laboratory analysis to ensure safety of patients, clients, and staff.
- Properly perform analysis of laboratory specimens.
- Safely and effectively produce diagnostic radiographic and non-radiographic images.
- Safely and effectively handle common laboratory animals used in animal research.
- Understand the approach to providing safe and effective care for birds, reptiles, amphibians, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, and ferrets.