» Campus Safety «
Tornado or Severe Weather
Procedure for Dealing with a Tornado or Severe Weather
- Stay indoors, be alert to falling objects.
- Proceed to the designated shelter.
- Classrooms will have a diagram posted showing where the designated shelters are located.
- If you are outside, lie flat on the ground in a depression and cover the back of your head and neck with your hands.
- Do not seek cover in an automobile or under a tree.
- Stay away from windows, mirrors, glass, and unsecured objects such as filing cabinets or bookcases.
- Do not use elevators.
- If requested, assist persons with disabilities to the safest area on the same floor.
- Remain in the safe area until the “all clear” has been given.
Planning includes identifying the appropriate place in your building to seek shelter should a tornado occur.
Click the link below to view the designated shelter locations.