How to Start A New RCTC Student Club
1. Secure the signatures of ten students interested in joining the club and have them sign the petition. Sample Club Petition
2. Identify a faculty member willing to serve as a club advisor and have them sign the petition (identifying themselves as the advisor) or draft their own short note indicating that they are willing to serve in that capacity.
3. Complete a club constitution and attend the Student Senate meeting at which it is presented. Sample Club Constitution.
Any group of students wishing to form a club for any purpose must secure a charter from the Student Senate and the approval of the RCTC President before that organization can be recognized as an official RCTC club.
To secure such an approval for a charter, a group must meet the following requirements:
- Have a purpose for the club which will benefit the College and does not advocate discrimination or violence of any kind.
- Must have a faculty advisor. Club Advisors are responsible for ensuring the club operates in a manner consistent with all laws and regulations, as well as all applicable MnSCU or RCTC policies and procedures.
- Submit a written purpose statement and club constitution to the Student Senate for approval.
- If the club is affiliated with any state or national organization, the affiliated constitution(s) and the terms of affiliation for the club must be filed with the constitution.
- The organization must have a minimum of ten (10) active student members in the group at the time of petitioning.
A simple majority vote of the Student Senate shall be required to recommend approval of a charter. The Student Senate shall notify the President of the College of its charter recommendation. The Cabinet will consider the Student Senate’s recommendation and either approve or deny it with comment. If approved by the Cabinet, the Student Senate shall then issue the charter.All chartered clubs, or the Club Advisor as appropriate, shall be responsible for:
- Assigning a Student Senate delegate and alternate as stated in Article III of these By-laws.
- Submitting an annual non-personnel operating budget request for the next fiscal year by the date stated by the Student Life Finance Committee.
Visit the Student Life Offices on the Fourth Floor of College Center if you have further questions.