How to Start A New RCTC Student Club
Starting a club is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
1. Find 10 students interested in joining your club and have them sign the petition - Sample Club Petition
2. Find a full-time faculty member who is willing to serve as your club advisor and provide them with the Advisor Handbook. If the faculty member agrees to be your club advisor, have them sign the petition above (identifying themselves as the advisor).Club Advisors are responsible for ensuring the club operates in a manner consistent with all laws and regulations, as well as all applicable MnSCU or RCTC policies and procedures.
3. Complete a club constitution - Sample Club Constitution.
- What is the purpose for your club? How will it benefit the College? Clubs cannot advocate discrimination or violence of any kind.
- If your club is affiliated with any state or national organization, the affiliated constitution(s) and the terms of affiliation for the club must be presented with your club constitution.
OK, what next?
1. Set up a meeting with the Student Senate President and bring your Club Petition and Club Constitution. The Student Senate President will schedule a time for you to present your new club to the Student Senate.
2. At the Student Senate meeting, a simple majority vote of the Student Senate shall be required to recommend approval of your new club.
3. The Student Senate President will then notify the President of the College of its club recommendation. The College Cabinet will consider the Student Senate’s recommendation for this new club and either approve or deny it with comment. If approved by the Cabinet, the Student Senate shall then issue the charter recognizing you as an official RCTC Club.
Congratulations! You are now an official RCTC Club! What next?
1. Assign a club member(s) to attend bimonthly Student Senate meetings-see Student Life Calendar for Senate meeting dates. Attendance at Senate meetings is mandatory to maintain club funding!
3. Submit an annual, non-personnel operating budget request for the next fiscal year by the date stated by the Student Life Finance Committee.
If you have questions...