What is Student Senate?
The Student Senate exists as an integral part of the college’s governance. It is the official representative of the RCTC student body and represents the students’ rights and views to all RCTC stakeholders. The Student Senate also appoints students to many All-College committees, sub-committees, work groups, and task forces. The Student Senate/Cabinet provides an opportunity for students to share input on campus operations, curriculum, student life, general matters, and other issues of mutual concern through a forum process. In addition to serving as the official representative of all RCTC students. The Student Senate approves all expenditures collected through the Student Life fee, and sets requirements for and governs all student organizations. As well as representing students, the Student Senate members are actively involved with the Minnesota State College Student Association. The Association serves to add the Student Senates as well as lobbying the Legislature and MNSCU. You can read more on their webpage at www.mscsa.org.
Who can be a part of Student Senate?
Any full-time or part-time students taking one credit or more and in good standing in their programs, as defined by the HTC handbook, can partake in the Student Senate. All meetings are open to everyone and are on Tuesdays at 2:00 PM at Heintz Center in HB 117. All students are encouraged to participate in the Student Senate. To become a voting member of the Student Senate, attend two consecutive meetings. The Student Senate Offices are located on 4th floor above the Cafeteria. The Student Senate consists of one representative or designee from each of the RCTC chartered clubs, six at-large student members, one student representative from the athletics program, and the Executive Board.
Why should I join Student Senate?
Getting involved in any club or organization can be one of the greatest, most rewarding experiences you will have while you are in college. By joining Student Senate you will have the opportunity to:
- Network and socialize with students, staff, faculty and administrators
- Build experience for your resume.
- Gain invaluable skills for future employment.
- Build social skills by interacting with people from different cultures and backgrounds.
- Enhance communication skills.
- Develop leadership skills by learning to take responsibility and manage challenges.
- Make friends and have fun! The Student Senate empowers students by providing world-class leadership development, creating a diverse learning environment, and building relationships that enhance life-long learning.
Senate Meeting Minutes:
- Coming soon