RCTC Spam Filter Instructions for using Microsoft Forefront Online Protection for Exchange (FOPE) Quarantine Service hosted by Microsoft
Using your Quarantine mailbox
This document will help you get started with the Microsoft Forefront Online Protection for Exchange (FOPE) Quarantine feature. The Quarantine service has the following attributes:
- Spam is kept in the Quarantine service for 15 days.
After that time, the stored e-mail messages are permanently deleted and cannot
- For spam that is not being quarantined, but is being
delivered to your desktop, forward the message to email@example.com so future messages of that type will be blocked. Please be sure to include
the full headers of the e-mail message with your submission.
- For messages incorrectly identified as spam, forward the
message to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please be sure to include the full headers of the message with your
- New spam rules are set globally for all customers. Please be aware that not all individual spam or false positive submissions result in new spam rules.
To log on to the service
- Using a web browser, connect to the FOPE Quarantine Service at https://quarantine.messaging.microsoft.com
The following image shows the logon screen that you should see at this site.
- Enter your user name and password and then click Sign in. Your user name is your email address (email@example.com). To create a password, click Need your password? to have instructions for setting your password sent to you. The following image shows the password request screen.
- Enter the email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) so the service can send your password reset instructions to it, and then click Send. A message will be sent to you (from email@example.com) which will contain a link for you to follow. This link will take you to a page where you can specify your password for logging into the Quarantine service.
Password Guidelines: The following rules and restrictions apply to account passwords.
- Passwords must be at least eight characters long.
- Passwords must be unique and not reused.
- The password can contain uppercase letters and lowercase letters.
- The password can contain numbers.
- The password cannot contain your userid.
Once you have logged on, you can review spam messages or change certain parts of your service.
Personalize Your View of the Service
Personalized changes to display settings, language settings for notifications, and whether to receive notifications or not can be made within the Quarantine service by clicking Options located above the top menu bar. The following image shows the Quarantine Options page.
To change user preferences and settings
- Select the option that you want to update, and then click Save to keep the changes.
- To exit the Options page, click the mailbox folder you want to go back to.
Manage Quarantined Messages in FOPE
This explains how you can view, search, and move messages that appear in your Forefront Online Protection for Exchange (FOPE) quarantine mailbox. If you take the time to review and act on your messages that were identified as spam, you can contribute to improving your email experience. You can also become more efficient by helping to make sure that you only see messages that matter to you. Furthermore, you can help make the FOPE service itself more efficient.
Find and Move Quarantined Messages
Before you start to manage your quarantined messages, you must log on to your quarantine mailbox. Once you have logged on to your quarantine mailbox, the list view shows your quarantined messages. An example of the list view is shown in the following image. If you have multiple pages of email messages, you can view successive pages by clicking the forward arrow, located near the bottom of the window.
You can search for a particular message either by sender address or by subject line. You can also use wildcard characters.
From the list view, you may select multiple messages to either delete or have delivered to your corporate email Inbox. To do this, select the check box next to the message in the list. If a message in this view has an icon in the far left column, it has been quarantined because of custom spam filter rules configured by your administrator and you will not be able to report it as Not Junk.
To complete the deletion or move the message to your Inbox from the list view, click the Delete or Move to Inbox button from the top menu bar. You are not required to delete any spam. The quarantine service will delete any email messages held in spam quarantine after 15 days.
While viewing an individual message, you can have it delivered to your Inbox by clicking the Move to Inbox button, which is shown in the following image. This will send the message to your corporate email Inbox. Furthermore, if the message is not spam, click the Not Junk button while you are viewing the message. This will both send the message to your email Inbox and also notify the FOPE spam team that the message was incorrectly categorized as spam.
If the Not Junk button is absent when you view a message, it means that the message was filtered because of restrictions that the email administrator has applied. You cannot report this message as incorrectly categorized. That is, you cannot report it as valuable to you instead of its current spam status. An explanation of why the message cannot be reported will appear in the upper-right-hand corner, but only if domain-level spam rules have been applied by your administrator.
If you have additional questions or need help, please contact the Technology Support Center (TSC) by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 536-5555.
Last Updated: October 25, 2013