Get to know RCTC Student President Cody Pogalz?
- How long have you been at RCTC?
I’ve been a student at RCTC since Fall Semester 2012, so just over a year.
- What are your favorite things about RCTC?
I imagine if I say anything other than the students, I?ll be impeached?but that’s the truth, as well. We have one of the most active, diverse student bodies in the state, and I’m proud of that. Student (and administrative and faculty) support affords our Student Senate a great deal of latitude to work with all of our stakeholders to support events. I’m especially proud of the academic program partnerships our clubs been able to develop this year (bringing French musician Eric Vincent on campus, the Environmental Science guest speaker, the Great Rive Shakespeare Festival presentation, to name a few), as well as our service projects (the Mayo Clinic Blood Drive registration, our continued work to partner with Make-A-Wish Minnesota).
- What is your favorite class at RCTC and why?
I will preface my answer by saying that I’ve enjoyed all of my classes thus far, but if I had to pick one, I really enjoyed Bioethics, which I took last fall with Tim ONeill. I enjoyed taking being in a course that intentionally deals with subjects which have rational, reasoned supporting facts on every side, and being able to discuss and write about those issues.
- What is your favorite thing about being a student at RCTC?
I’d be lying if I said I’ve enjoyed anything more than being Student President so far this year. The opportunities this role has provided me to serve and represent students, see some of the things that happen behind-the-scenes around here, and develop as a leader and professional have all been great.
- What’s your favorite activity at RCTC?
Student Senate meetings?oftentimes, I find that a student in the room has a better idea than I do, and that’s the best kind of meeting to chair.
- What is your favorite food?
Vietnamese (Pho Chau is the best restaurant in town)
- What is your favorite day of the week and why?
Fridays, because I don’t have class and I can ease into the weekend. Is that a terrible thing for a student to say? If it helps, I often use that day to do homework.
- What is your favorite time of the year and why?
Late summer. The temperature is just right
- What is the best meal you?ve ever made/had?
Somali food in Minneapolis. It’s delicious.
- What would you name the autobiography of your life?
Work-In-Progress? (I’m only 24, what have I done that’s any different from most people? Ask me this question in 30 years).
- If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
Play guitar exceptionally well like Eric Clapton good.
- If you could meet anyone, living or dead, who would you meet?
I couldn’t pick just one, but the next question I?ll answer will give me a chance to talk to a bunch of them.
- If you could witness any event past, present or future, what would it be?
The signing of the Declaration of Independencethen I could quiz every person there.
- When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I haven’t even figured that out now.
- What hobbies/interests do you enjoy?
I am a political junkie. I enjoy cooking, and reading to my son.