What to do if a Bomb Threat is Received
Obtain as much information as possible using the
BOMB THREAT CHECKLIST
- Exact time of the call
- Exact words of the caller
Questions to Ask
- When is the bomb going to explode?
- Where is the bomb?
- What does it look like?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What will cause it to explode?
- Did you place the bomb?
- Where are you calling from?
- What is your address?
- What is your name?
- CALLER’S VOICE IS:
Calm Slow Crying Slurred
Stutter Deep Loud Broken
Giggling Accent Angry Rapid
Stressed Nasal Lisp Excited
Disguised Sincere Normal Squeaky
- If voice is familiar, whom did it sound like
- Were there any background noises?
- Person receiving call
- Telephone number call received
Contact Campus Safety immediately at 507-285-7262 or 7262
- In Advance, Each Staff Member Should:
- Understand the evacuation plan.
- Know at least two ways out of the building from your regular workspace.
When You Hear the Evacuation Alarm Or Are Verbally Told To Begin Evacuating The Building:
- Remain calm and do not use your cellular phone.
- Leave quickly.
- Try to make sure that all members of your department hear the alarm and evacuate the area.
- As you exit, quickly check nearby restrooms, copier rooms, storage rooms, etc.
- If requested, accompany and assist persons with disabilities who appear to need direction or assistance.
- Take with you: essential personal items ONLY. Do not attempt to take large or heavy objects.
- Shut all doors behind you as you go. Closed doors can slow the spread of fire, smoke and water.
- Proceed as quickly as possible but in an orderly manner. Do not push or shove. Hold handrails when you are using stairs.
- Once out of the building, proceed to the Code Blue security poles in the parking lot.