Procedure for Earthquake Safety
Even in a severe earthquake, there is much you can do to prevent or minimize injuries or damage to property. During An Earthquake:
If you are inside:
- Stay inside.
- Crawl under a table or desk, or stand in a doorway and watch for falling objects.
- Stay away from windows, mirrors, overhead fixtures, filing cabinets, bookcases and electrical equipment.
If you are outside:
- Move to an open area away from buildings, trees and power lines.
- If forced to stand near a building, watch for falling objects.
If you are in an automobile:
- Stop your vehicle in the nearest open area.
- Stay in the vehicle until the shaking stops.
After An Earthquake
- Remain calm and be prepared for aftershocks.
- Be guided by emergency personnel. If evacuation is ordered, proceed to the nearest clear exit.
- Do not move seriously injured persons unless they are in obvious immediate danger (of fire, building collapse, etc.)
- Open doors carefully and watch for falling objects.
- Do not use elevators.
- Do not use matches or lighters.
- Avoid using telephones.