Minnesota Department of Education Post Secondary Enrollment Options Program

Post-Secondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) allows high school Juniors and Seniors to take courses, full-or part-time, at a post-secondary institution for high school credit. The program provides students with a greater variety of class offerings and the opportunity to pursue more challenging coursework than may be available at the high school. The tuition, fees and required textbooks are at no cost to students. The Minnesota Department of Education will only cover PSEO expenses billed by the institution(s) to which PSEO students have been admitted. PSEO students will be responsible for any tuition, fees, and supplies at any institution(s) to which they are not admitted.

PSEO also allows high school Sophomores to take career and technical courses.


Any public, nonpublic, homeschool or American Indian-controlled tribal contract or grant student classified as an 11th or 12th grader and accepted by a post-secondary institution, may enroll either full- or part-time in nonsectarian courses or programs at that post-secondary institution. Students participating in cultural exchange programs are not eligible.

Nonpublic schools are not required to follow all sections of the PSEO law. Students and families attending nonpublic schools are encouraged to discuss the school’s PSEO policy with a counselor or program advisor well in advance of participation in this program.

Eligibility for 10th graders can be found here.

Eligible Institutions

Eligible institutions include the University of Minnesota and its branches, all state universities, community colleges, technical colleges, a Minnesota two- or four-year liberal arts residential degree granting private college, a non-profit, degree granting trade school or an accredited opportunities industrialization center in Minnesota. If all colleges are 40 or more miles away a student may request a post-secondary course be offered at the high school.

How to Participate

High schools are required to provide information to freshman, sophomores and juniors by March 1 for the following fall.

Students are requested to let the high school know before May 30 if considering participation in the program the following academic year. However, students are not bound by the May 30 deadline. If students qualify for the post-secondary institution they wish to attend, they do not need the permission of the high school to enroll.

Students should work with a high school counselor or principal to ensure courses taken fulfill credit requirements for graduation. Homeschoolers work directly with the PSEO advisor at the college they plan to attend.

Students will need to complete and sign the Post-Secondary Enrollment Options Program Notice of Student Registration form. A parent or guardian’s signature is required unless the student is 18 years old or older.

Courses and Credits

When selecting courses, students must be careful to fulfill the subject areas required for high school graduation. The high school should allow students flexibility in choosing generally comparable courses to meet requirements. Students may choose any nonsectarian electives they desire. Students are not permitted to take remedial, developmental or other courses not considered college level.

Students may take one or more courses up to a full-time course load as defined by the post-secondary institution.

The high school determines the amount of credit to be awarded. However, no more than 7 quarter credits or 4 semester credits can be required to equal one year of high school credit in each subject.

Credits received at a post-secondary institution are on the student’s record and count as courses completed at that institution. Transferring credits to another institution is dependent upon the transfer rules of that institution.

When public school students have a disagreement with their high school about course credits; they may appeal that disagreement in writing to the Commissioner of Education. Nonpublic school students should inquire of their high school counselor or program advisor about an appeals process.

Students with PSEO status are high school students taking courses at another location for part or all of the day. Their grades should be recorded by the high school for the honor roll and other special awards. Students are responsible for delivering their post-secondary grades to the high school.

If students withdraw from a course, they must let the post-secondary institution and the high school know immediately. PSEO students should expect to be subject to the same procedures and/or penalties as any other high school student when withdrawing from or failing a course.

Many high schools are cooperating with colleges and universities to provide college courses at the high school. Students may wish to take these courses. Many Minnesota colleges accept credit transfers of these courses in the same manner they would accept credits from another college; some do not. Students may want to check to be sure that the college they plan to attend will apply these credits toward their chosen college degree.

Intermediate District

A student enrolled in a district that is a member of an intermediate district that operates a secondary vocational program at a college may access post-secondary courses and receive high school and college credit for courses successfully completed through that program. Students accessing those courses do not have PSEO status.


If, at the date of the graduation ceremony, the student has successfully completed all coursework and credit requirements for graduation, the student must be allowed to participate in the ceremony and receive a signed diploma. If the student is still in progress at the post-secondary institution toward completion of the graduation requirements, the student must be allowed to participate in the ceremony and receive an unsigned diploma. The signed diploma will be awarded after the college grades are received by the high school.

Involvement in High School Activities

High schools may not prohibit students from participating in school sponsored activities based on PSEO status.


Students or their parents are responsible for transportation to the post-secondary institution. Students may be able to ride a scheduled school bus for a fee. If the student’s family qualifies, their parent or guardian may apply for reimbursement for transportation costs. Public school students can obtain the reimbursement forms from their high school counselor or principal. Nonpublic and home schooled students can obtain their reimbursement form from the post-secondary institution.

Choosing to Participate

Students should start by planning early. The decision to participate is an important one. The student will be expected to be a responsible, self-starting, independent learner. Students should seek out additional information and counseling at the high school and at the post-secondary institution to ensure that they are making the best choice for themselves and their educational future.

Additional PSEOP Resources:

Minnesota Statutes regarding PSEOP:

Minnesota Department of Education regarding PSEOP:

Minnesota State policy regarding PSEOP: