Excellence in Education through Philanthropy
The mission of the RCTC Foundation is to provide support to students and programs at RCTC, enhancing the quality of education and the future of our students. It has become increasingly more expensive to attend college. Although two-year community colleges are much less expensive than four-year colleges, the costs can still be insurmountable for many. When higher education becomes inaccessible, we lose a new generation of teachers, engineers, health practitioners, scientists, and other professionals who enrich the community and keep our economy strong.
You can make a difference in the life of a student through your support. Supporting the RCTC Foundation means supporting someone’s chance to realize their dream of college. Every gift to the RCTC Foundation is an investment in the future and impacts our students no matter the size. The Rochester Community and Technical College Foundation is a 501(c 3 non-profit, charitable institution and all gifts are tax deductible to the full extent provided by law.
Give the gift that lasts a lifetime.
WAYS TO GIVE
A gift to the RCTC Foundation not only demonstrates your belief in our mission, but also reinforces your commitment to making a difference in our community. Many types of gifts allow you to fulfill your charitable intentions and may result in immediate and possible future benefits for you and your family. The RCTC Foundation accepts the following:
- Gifts of cash or check
- Gifts of securities (i.e. stocks, securities, bonds)
- Gifts of life insurance
- Gifts of real estate (i.e. home, vacation or farm property)
- Income producing gifts (i.e. charitable gift annuities, charitable remainder annuity trusts, and charitable remainder unitrusts)
- Estate gifts (i.e. bequests from wills or living trusts, retirement plan assets)
WHERE TO DESIGNATE YOUR GIFT
RCTC Foundation offers donors their choice of several different fund types to choose from.
- UNRESTRICTED FUNDS: Donors who give an unrestricted gift build maximum versatility into their charitable giving. These resources are most useful to RCTC Foundation on a daily basis in response to changing needs and opportunities and are a vital source for student support from awarding scholarships, funding educational equipment, sponsoring academic excellence or promoting innovative programs.
- TEMPORARILY RESTRICTED FUNDS: Donations for a temporarily restricted fund are accepted and are disbursed in the same year they are received. A gift may be restricted for a program of study, library and classroom resources, lecture series, opportunities in the arts or scholarships to assist individuals pursuing educational goals. Donors may specify the criteria for scholarship awards.
- PERMANENTLY RESTRICTED ENDOWED FUNDS: Choosing to endow your gift with RCTC Foundation ensures ongoing annual support in perpetuity. This is made possible through income generated annually from your investment of $10,000 or greater. The minimum donation of $10,000 to establish an endowed fund may be paid in one lump sum or over a period of three years. Donors may specify the criteria for awards.
CREATE A SCHOLARSHIP
A college education is a dream for many and an accomplishment for too few. At Rochester Community and Technical College, we make that dream possible by providing a quality education at an affordable price.
The RCTC Foundation believes that the greatest gift a student can receive is a scholarship. Scholarships provide tremendous opportunities and financial assistance to talented RCTC students. Creating a scholarship through the RCTC Foundation is one way you can directly assist our students. A gift of a scholarship will help to make a personal difference in the life of a student and ensure that those who wish to attend RCTC are not left behind because of economic constraints.
When you give a scholarship:
- You receive gratification for helping students pursue their academic goals
- You receive an invitation to the Scholarship Awards Ceremony and a chance to meet the students you support
- You are recognized in the RCTC Foundation Annual Report
Named Endowed Scholarships Named Annual Scholarships
- Endowed scholarships are established in perpetuity and may be named in honor or in memory of someone special.
- Endowed scholarship funds are designed to be permanent and are called permanently restricted (endowment) funds. Permanently restricted funds would never be spent but only be used to generate income to be used for scholarships.
- A minimum gift of $10,000 is required to establish an endowed scholarship and may be paid one-time or over three years.
- Funds can be added to the endowment at any time; such contributions are eligible for tax deductions to the extent provided by law.
- As an endowed scholarship donor, you can specify the scholarship name and criteria.
- Annual scholarships are an opportunity to give a yearly gift to the RCTC Foundation to sustain our scholarship program and may be renewed each year.
- An annual gift of at least $1,000 paid one-time, may be used to provide a scholarship for deserving students.
- Annual scholarships give you the flexibility in cost and commitment.
- Gifts made to annual scholarships are not invested, and do not earn additional income.
- As an annual scholarship donor, you can specify the scholarship name and criteria.
The RCTC Foundation recognizes that scholarship are important because they provide support for students who might not otherwise have the resources to pursue higher education. Most RCTC student juggle multiple responsibilities – balancing work, family and career preparation. A significant number are non-traditional students, looking to expand their knowledge and abilities with additional education. Others are seeking certification or training to enter the workforce with a marketable skill. Especially in difficult times, a scholarship can make all the difference. BUT no matter what the reason for attending Rochester Community and Technical College, scholarships change lives!
GIFT OF TRIBUTE
The next time you are faced with searching for a way to help express your feelings, consider a Gift of Tribute that will be recognized and appreciated by others for years to come.
A Gift of Tribute through the RCTC Foundation is a meaningful way to say that you care. Through a Gift of Tribute you can pay special tribute to a loving family member, friend or colleague. Your gift can be in memory of someone who has passed away, or you may choose someone who is celebrating a birthday, anniversary, graduation, retirement or other milestone. You will receive a prompt acknowledgement of your generosity and the Foundation will notify the honored person or family member of your kind act, but will not disclose the amount of your donation.
A gift given in the name of another is a fitting, personal way to honor the memory or successes of a loved one, or mark other milestones in life and reflects a unique loyalty and caring respect. More importantly, it communicates to the world the honoree’s positive impact on others, particularly those who choose to remember them through giving to others.
HOW IT WORKS: There is no finer way to honor the memory of a loved one, celebrate a special event in the life of someone close to you, or show your appreciation for the ways in which individuals have enhanced the quality of your life than to provide for the needs of others, on their behalf. Honorarium and Memorial gifts not only provide a unique way to express our feelings to others but also benefit RCTC students and programs.
Honorarium Gifts Memorial Gifts
Gifts to the RCTC Foundation can be designated in honor of a specific person or event in your life. If someone helped transform your life then making a gift in their honor is a great way to show your appreciation. Whether it be family, friends, faculty members, coaches or co-workers, these special gifts provide an opportunity to remember or pay tribute to individuals, as well as recognize special occasions such as birthdays, graduation, anniversaries or holidays. Be sure to include the full name and address of the person you wish to honor at the time of your gift and the Foundation will notify them of your kindness with an official gift acknowledgement*. The gift amount remains confidential unless otherwise noted and a separate acknowledgement is sent to the donor.
Gifts to the RCTC Foundation can also be given in memory of a person who has transformed the life of a donor. Memorial gifts are a beautiful and loving way to pay special tribute to a loved one or colleague. Please include the full name and address of the person you would like us to notify of your gift*. If the person you are memorializing is deceased, please include the name and address of the family. The gift amount remains confidential unless otherwise noted and a separate acknowledgement is sent to the donor.
If you are handling the arrangements for a deceased loved one, important information to include: In lieu of flowers, memorial gifts can be made to the Rochester Community and Technical College Foundation | 851 30th Avenue SE | Rochester, MN 55904
*If the donor wishes to include an official gift acknowledgement with their own card, please contact the Foundation with your request.
AMAZON…YOU SHOP. AMAZON GIVES
Did you know that every time you place an order on Amazon, you can also support the RCTC Foundation without any cost to you by using AmazonSmile? Amazon created its own 501(c)3 organization, AmazonSmile Foundation, to make donations to eligible charitable organizations selected by Amazon customers. AmazonSmile lets you enjoy the same wide selection of products, low prices, and convenient shopping features as on Amazon.com. The difference is that when you shop on AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com), they will donate 0.5% of the purchase price to the RCTC Foundation.
- Managing Your AmazonSmile Account
You can manage your purchases and other account information on Amazon.com and AmazonSmile using a single account. You can use your existing Amazon.com account on AmazonSmile if you have one, or create a new account if you don’t.
- Choosing RCTC Foundation as your Charitable Organization to Support
On your first visit to AmazonSmile, you will be prompted to select a charitable organization to receive donations from eligible purchases before you begin shopping. Make sure you select Rochester Community and Technical College Foundation. Amazon will remember your selection, and then every eligible purchase you make on AmazonSmile will result in a donation.
Rochester Community and Technical College employees are the heart of the College. Every day you make a difference. Your dedicated work as faculty and staff shape the lives of students, ensure the vitality of the College and strengthens our community. You play a key role in carrying out the College’s mission of providing accessible, affordable, quality learning opportunities to serve a diverse and growing community.
One of the benefits of working in higher education is the opportunity to truly change people and an integral part of providing these opportunities is the support of the RCTC Foundation. Your contributions have funded scholarships for students as well as provided funding for innovative and educational programming.
Employees have the opportunity to use Payroll Deduction as an easy and convenient way to support scholarships, which make the biggest impact, but may also choose to support a specific department, program or student organization.
Payroll Deductions forms are available in the RCTC Foundation Office (HC109) or RCTC Human Resources Office (CF110).
Support of Rochester Community and Technical College academic programs and events in the form of donated goods or services helps the College keep state appropriated funds in the classroom.
One of the biggest costs for the College is the need for upgraded equipment in our occupational/technical programs. Your gift of equipment, whether for an electronics lab or Building Utilities Mechanic lab, has immediate impact on our instructional capability.
Contact the RCTC Foundation to discover how you or your company can become a benefactor to one of our many career programs. Your in-kind gifts, from catering services to classroom equipment enable RCTC to concentrate its resources directly on instruction.
851 30th Avenue SE
Rochester, MN 55904
Donate now with your credit card. Payments made using your credit card are processed via the Razoo Foundation – a registered 501(c)3 public charity that operates a donor advised fund.