Supporting Student Basic Needs

RCTC Basic Needs

The College recognizes that there are many students who may experience challenges in their lives outside of the classroom that may create stress and anxiety which impacts their academic performance. Challenges may include accessing enough food to eat every day, safe and stable housing, issues with childcare, family obligations, physical and mental health, unexpected bills, or issues with accessing technology.

As a student, your safety, health, and well-being are our primary concerns and we want to be able to support you in any way that we can.

This website contains information on resources on campus and within the Rochester community.

This is not exhaustive of current offerings and will be updated regularly to reflect changes in services, resources, and support. Please contact Anfa Diiriye, Engagement and Inclusion Coordinator, at with questions or if you have a resource to include.

You are not alone, and we will navigate these challenges together. Yellowjackets take care of their hive!


211 Basic Needs Resources Hub

Rochester Community and Technical College and Minnesota State have partnered with United Way 211 to establish a statewide basic needs resource hub. The basic needs resource hub provides Rochester Community and Technical College students access to basic needs resources and support available on campus and in the community via phone, text, or chat 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.

United Way 211 provides free and confidential health and human services information. They are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to connect you with the resources and information you need. If you’re looking for information about services available in your community for you or a loved one, they can help.

Text MNHELP to 898-211 (TXT211) or call 211 (toll free at 1-800-543-7709) to speak with one of their highly trained information and referral specialists. Your call is completely confidential, and they have call menus in English, Spanish, and Hmong. Interpreters are also available for any language.

Visit the 211 website to learn more or to explore resources and support that may be available.


Free Tax Preparation

Low- and moderate-income households have two free tax filing options! Thousands of low-income households access this necessary service for free, improving access to tax credits and bringing dollars back into our community in the form of tax refunds.

The VITA Program is brought to you by partnering sponsors 125 Live and Salvation Army to provide free tax preparation services for taxpayers in Olmsted and Dodge Counties (participating sites listed below). United Way’s 211 is proud to serve as your appointment scheduling hub

Learn more at


RCTC Student SNAP Screening Form

We have developed the RCTC Student SNAP Screening Form to help you determine if you may be eligible for benefits. This is only a screening tool. The results are kept confidential and only indicate if you may be eligible to receive benefits. If you are eligible, you will have the option to share your email address so that someone can contact you and assist you with the next step of the SNAP application.


Bridges to Benefits

Bridge to Benefits Screening Tool is a project by Children’s Defense Fund-Minnesota to improve the well-being of families and individuals by linking them to public work support programs and tax credits. By answering a few simple questions, you will be able to see if you or someone else may be eligible for public work support programs. They will NOT ask you for information that identifies you. It’s easy, confidential, and free! NOTE: This screening tool does not determine eligibility. It is only a guideline. After using this screening tool, you must apply to each program to be sure you are eligible.

Find food assistance, help to pay bills, and other free or reduced-cost programs, including new programs for the COVID-19 pandemic using


We are here to help!

Anfa Diiriye, Engagement and Inclusion CoordinatorAnfa Diiriye
Engagement and Inclusion Coordinator