Adult Learners

Congratulations on making the decision to go back to school!  We know it can be exciting and overwhelming all at once.  We’re here to help.

Steps to Enrollment

  • Apply to RCTC.  The application for admission is FREE.  If you are looking to obtain a diploma, certificate, or degree, the application for admission must be completed.  If you are looking to just take a course without earning a degree, you can enroll as a visiting student.
  • Send Your Transcripts to be sent to RCTC.  New students will need to provide high school transcripts or an equivalent, such as a GED.  Transfer students will need to request college transcripts from all schools attended, even if you withdrew.  If you previously attended one or more institutions within the Minnesota State Colleges & University system (not including the University of Minnesota), we can retrieve your transcripts at no cost once your application has been submitted.  Adult learners also have many life and career experiences which may contribute to their educational goals. Students may be eligible for Credit for Prior Learning.
  • Apply for Financial Aid. Students seeking a diploma, certificate, or degree could be eligible for state and federal financial aid including grants and loans.  However, you must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at  Make sure to send your FAFSA to RCTC by entering our school code, 002373.  If you have already received a bachelor’s degree, your aid eligibility will be diminished.
  • Send Materials for Placement. Students can have their test scores and/or high school GPA considered for college placement. These items can be mailed OR emailed to
    –  Send test scores:  Students can verify test scores (ACT, SAT, MCA, or ALEKS) pulled out of their portal (unofficial test scores) with a College Transitions Advisor or high school Counselor and send to RCTC. Official ACT or SAT copies are also accepted when a student requests them from ACT or College Board. Test scores are valid for 5 years.
    – Report your unweighted GPA: Send your high school transcript to RCTC for placement.  High school GPA is valid for 10 years.
  • Watch for your next steps. RCTC will email you with orientation information and your specific next steps, so make sure your email is correct or up-to-date.

There are many other resources that you can utilize as you make the transition back into school  Please reach out to these resources as you need.

Advising and Counseling offers academic and career advising, as well as connecting students with community resources.  Students can make appointments with their advisor or counselor at  Advising and Counseling also hosts Olmsted County Family Support staff to assist with food, medical, and emergency assistance as well as county referrals.  Stop in Advising and Counseling to make an appointment or call 507-285-7260.

Did you know Minnesota offers Childcare Assistance Grants?  Please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 507-285-7271 for more information.  You can also visit the Financial Aid website for other financial resources to pay for college.

Student Health Services can provide simple tests if you’re not feeling well, referrals to local physicians, and mental health resources to current enrolled students. Schedule an appointment with Health Services.

Student Life provides opportunities to get involved on campus, but did you know they also have a food pantry?  The HIVE Supply is a great resource for our students.

Need a place to study or receive tutoring?  The Library provides a quiet space and plenty of research materials, as well as computer access for students.  The Learning Center allows students to receive FREE tutoring in various subjects.

Need more assistance or have a question that can’t be answered here? Contact the Welcome and One Stop Center at 507-285-7557 or stop in their office- located just inside the Main Campus entrance.