1. Rochester Community and Technical College (RCTC) completed the required certification to receive funding from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act. RCTC intends to distribute no less than fifty percent of the aid in the form of Emergency Grants to eligible students*, as required by the CARES Act agreement.
2. RCTC has received CARES Act funding in the amount of $2,629,500. $1,314,750 of these funds will be distributed to students through Emergency Financial Aid Grants.
3. As of June 30th, 2021, RCTC has distributed $1,364,450 in Emergency Grant payments to eligible students* through direct grants ($1,029,500) and application-based grants ($334,950). Students can log into eServices and review their “Bills and Payments” for Spring Semester 2020 to determine if they qualified for a CARES Act Emergency Grant through direct disbursement.
4. In Spring 2020, RCTC estimated 2,736 students met the initial basic eligibility requirements to be considered for CARES Act emergency funding.
5. Since Spring 2020, more students met the eligibility requirements. Approximately 2,840 students have now received CARES Act funding.
6. Eligibility criteria for CARES Act funding was determined based on guidance from the U.S. Department of Education and the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Office of General Counsel. *In Spring 2020 when the pandemic began, eligible students must have been enrolled and actively participating in at least one Spring Semester 2020 course that meets all of the following criteria:
- On-campus or Hybrid format
- Credit-earning (excludes audited and continuing education course)
- Continuing through or starting on or after the first Monday of Spring Break
- Is not dropped, withdrawn, or having a last date of attendance before 3/6/2020 (Friday before Spring Break
For Summer 2020 and Fall 2020, eligible students must be enrolled in at least one credit bearing course and have a complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file.
The following students are not eligible for CARES Act funding:
- HS Students/PSEO/Concurrent Enrollment
- Seniors receiving the special discount rate
- DACA/DREAM Act Students, if known
- Employees with an approved tuition waiver at any MinnState institution
- Incarcerated students
- International students/F1 Visa students
CARES Act funds are intended to help students cover expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus (including expenses under a student’s cost of attendance, such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, and child care). Realizing that students have been affected by the Coronavirus interruptions in a variety of ways, RCTC will distribute funds to all eligible students* using both direct grant payments (paid at $25-$50/credit in Spring 2020) and application-based awards for students who have additional expenses. The maximum, initial application-based award is currently set at $750. Beginning Fall 2020, students may apply for a second application-based award with a maximum value of $500.
7. Students enrolled at more than one Minnesota State campus should check with their Financial Aid Office to determine if they are eligible for funding.
Students with questions about receiving direct grant funds may contact the RCTC Financial Aid office email@example.com.
Students with questions about applying for the Student Emergency Fund may e-mail SEF@rctc.edu.
Initial posting: 05/13/2020
Updated posting: 06/24/2020
Updated posting: 08/25/2020
Updated posting: 10/21/2020
Updated posting: 12/31/2020
Updated posting: 07/09/2021