1. Rochester Community and Technical College (RCTC) completed the required certification to receive funding from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act. RCTC intends to distribute no less than fifty percent of the aid in the form of Emergency Grants to eligible students*, as required by the CARES Act agreement.
2. RCTC has received CARES Act funding in the amount of $2,629,500. $1,314,750 of these funds will be distributed to students through Emergency Financial Aid Grants.
3. As of May 12, 2020, RCTC has distributed $1,029,500 in Emergency Grant payments directly to eligible students*. Students can log into eServices and review their “Bills and Payments” for Spring Semester 2020 to determine if they qualified for a CARES Act Emergency Grant disbursement. Applications for the remaining CARES Act Emergency Funds ($285,250) are being accepted here (login using StarID@go.minnstate.edu). Students must meet the eligibility criteria as outlined in Item 5 below. As of June 24, 2020, RCTC has awarded $112,120 in application-based Emergency funds.
4. RCTC estimates 2,736 students met basic eligibility requirements to be considered for this funding (Section 484 Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965) thus eligible to be considered for CARES Act emergency funding.
5. At this time, approximately 2,685 students have received CARES Act funding.
6. Eligibility criteria for CARES Act funding was determined based on guidance from the U.S. Department of Education and the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Office of General Counsel. *Eligible students must have been enrolled and actively participating in at least one Spring Semester 2020 course that meets all of the following criteria:
- On-campus or Hybrid format
- Credit-earning (excludes audited and continuing education courses)
- Continuing through or starting on or after the first Monday of spring break
- Is not dropped, withdrawn, or having a last date of attendance before 3/6/2020 (Friday before Spring Break)
The following students are not eligible for CARES Act funding:
- HS Students/PSEO/Concurrent Enrollment
- Seniors receiving the special discount rate
- DACA/DREAM Act Students, if known
- Employees with an approved tuition waiver at any MinnState institution
- Incarcerated students
- ·International students/F1 Visa students
CARES Act funds are intended to help students cover expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus (including expenses under a student’s cost of attendance, such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, and child care). Realizing that students have been affected by the Coronavirus interruptions in a variety of ways, RCTC will distribute funds to all eligible students* using both direct grant payments (paid at $25-$50/credit) and application-based awards for students who have additional expenses (maximum currently set at $750.00).
7. Students enrolled at more than one Minnesota State campus should check with their Financial Aid Office to determine if they are eligible for funding.
Students with questions about receiving direct grant funds may contact the RCTC Financial Aid office at at email@example.com.
Students with questions about applying for the Student Emergency Fund may e-mail SEF@rctc.edu.
Initial posting: 5/13/2020
Updated posting: 06/24/2020