RCTC is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Rochester Community and Technical College is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, one of six regional accrediting agencies in the U.S.
As stated by HLC, “Regional accreditation validates the quality of an institution as a whole and evaluates multiple aspects of an institution ranging from its academic offerings, governance and administration, mission, finances, and resources.”
The HLC has three “pathways” an institution can follow to demonstrate institutional quality. All pathways require institutions to show that they meet the Criteria for Accreditation.
The 5 Criteria for Accreditation
- Criterion One. Mission: The institution’s mission is clear and articulated publicly; it guides the institution’s operations.
- Criterion Two. Integrity: Ethical and Responsible Conduct. The institution acts with integrity; its conduct is ethical and responsible.
- Criterion Three. Teaching and Learning: Quality, Resources, and Support. The institution provides high quality education, wherever and however its offerings are delivered.
- Criterion Four. Teaching and Learning: Evaluation and Improvement. The institution demonstrates responsibility for the quality of its educational programs, learning environments, and support services, and it evaluates their effectiveness for student learning through processes designed to promote continuous improvement.
- Criterion Five. Resources, Planning, and Institutional Effectiveness. The institution’s resources, structures, and processes are sufficient to fulfill its mission, improve the quality of its educational offerings, and respond to future challenges and opportunities. The institution plans for the future.
- Community/Junior College initial accreditation with Higher Learning Commission (formerly North Central Association) – 1923
- Technical College initial accreditation with candidacy status from Higher Learning Commission (formerly North Central Association) – 1993
- Most recent reaffirmation of accreditation: 2016-2017
- Comprehensive Evaluation: November 9, 2020
- Next reaffirmation of accreditation: 2026-2027
RCTC also holds occupationally specific accreditation in a number of its programs.
What Accreditation Means to You
When you attend an accredited college or university, you can expect:
- A Quality Education: Accreditation means that the institution meets standards of quality for faculty, curriculum, administration, library, financial management and student services.
- Financial Aid Opportunities: You can only obtain federal financial assistance if the institution has appropriate accreditation from an organization recognized by the United States Department of Education.
- Credits that Transfer: If you ever want to transfer your college credits to continue your education, accreditation is an important factor when a college or university is deciding whether to accept transfer credits from your previous school.
- Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc.
3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400
Atlanta, GA 30326
- Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
11520 West 119th Street
Overland Park, KS 66213
- Accredited Review Council on Education in Surgical Technologists and Surgical Assistants (ARC/STSA)
19751 E. Main Street, Suite 339
Parker, CO 80138
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
1931 North Meacham Road, Suite 100
Schaumburg, IL 60173-4360
- ASE Education Foundation
1503 Edwards Ferry Road, Suite 401
Leesburg, VA 20176
703-669-6650 or 703-669-6677
- Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM)
200 East Randolph Stree, Ste. 5100
Chicago, IL 60601
- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
9355 113th St. N, #7709
Seminole, FL 33775
- Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA)
American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation
211 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60611-2678
800-621-8099 or 312-440-4653
- Minnesota Board of Peace Officer Standards and Training
1600 University Avenue, Suite 200
St. Paul, Minnesota 55104-3825
- National Cancer Registrars Association, Inc. (NCRA)
1330 Braddock Place, Suite 520 Alexandria, VA 22314