Advisors or Counselors will assist you in planning for transfer to another college or university. In preparation for transfer, these steps will help:
Have a program or major in mind as soon as possible. Prerequisites for most majors can be completed in the first two years at RCTC. In the Minnesota State system, transfer students can move about with relative ease. There are many avenues to four-year degrees. To learn more, view our articulations and transfer pathways. Following these program plans will ensure that you are properly prepared to pursue your bachelor's degree at the receiving (or partnering) college or university.
1. Discuss your plans with an RCTC counselor or Advisor as early as you can.
2. Complete transfer applications early. Many colleges and majors require a fall semester application for admission for the following fall semester. Make certain you meet the application deadlines!
3. Be familiar with the pre-major requirements of transfer schools. Colleges may have different preparatory requirements for the same major.
4. If possible visit your intended transfer college to obtain information on transfer, majors, financial aid/scholarships, student activities, and housing.
5. Obtain admissions criteria information for both the college and the major. GPA or other requirements for admission to a specific major may be different from than admissions criteria for the college.
6. Make an appointment with the transfer college counselor, academic advisor, or faculty advisor to discuss transfer requirements, internships, and job placement.
7. Arrange a follow-up appointment with an RCTC counselor or Advisor if you feel the need for further discussion or clarification on transfer and/or program planning.
Optional: Arrange for a tour of their dormitory facilities. The condition and living arrangements of dormitories may be a deciding factor in selecting a transfer college.