What is Student Right-To-Know?
Student Right-To-Know is a federal law that requires all colleges and universities to disclose certain information to students. This handout provides the information that a college must provide to students on graduation rates and transfer-out rates for full-time students seeking degrees at Rochester Community and Technical College (RCTC).
What is graduation rate and what is transfer-out rate?
Federal regulations specify how to calculate the graduation and transfer rates. The rates come from a study of Rochester Community and Technical College students who started at the college in the fall of 2017. The study includes all first-time students who enrolled full-time that fall and were seeking to earn a degree, diploma, or certificate at the college. The graduation rate is the percentage of these students who graduated from RCTC within three years. The transfer-out rate is the percentage of these students who did not graduate from RCTC, but instead transferred to another college or university within three years.
What do I need to know about these rates?
These rates do not report on all students at Rochester Community and Technical College. The 685 first-time, full-time students in the study were 13 percent of all students enrolled at RCTC in fall of 2017.
What are the graduation and transfer-out rates for Rochester students and how do they compare to rates for other colleges?
- The graduation rate for RCTC was 24 percent.
- The transfer-out rate for RCTC was 26 percent.
- The combination of the graduation rate and the transfer-out rate for RCTC was 50 percent. The national average combined rate for similar colleges was 45 percent.
Why don’t more Rochester students graduate or transfer in three years?
- Since RCTC has an “open door” mission, many new students need to take “developmental” courses to improve their reading, writing, or math skills before taking other college courses;
- Students who switch from full-time to part-time enrollment or “stop out” for one or more semesters are more likely to take more than three years to graduate;
- Some students take jobs before they graduate;
- Other students delay their education for personal, family, or financial reasons.
|Disaggregated Student Right-To-Know Graduation and Transfer-Out Rates – 150% of Normal Time|
|Rochester Community and Technical College||Graduation Rate||Transfer-out Rate||Combined Rate|
|Hispanic of any race||15%||30%||44%|
|American Indian or Alaska Native||*||*||*|
|Black or African American||9%||29%||38%|
|Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander||*||*||*|
|Two or more races||20%||24%||44%|
|Race and ethnicity unknown||*||*||*|
|Students of Color Includes: Hispanic/Latino, American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian, Black or African American, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, Two or more races students|
|* Suppressed to protect student privacy. Due to rounding, percentages my not appear to add up.|
|Pell Grant Recipient||20%||25%||45%|
|Received neither Pell nor Subsidized Stafford Loans||27%||27%||54%|
|Received Subsidized Stafford Loans, but no Pell||28%||25%||53%|
|Prepared by: RCTC Institutional Research|