2023 FALL GENERAL ELECTION PROCEDURES
STUDENT SENATE POSITIONS
There is currently a Vice President of Student Senate and 16 Student Senator positions available for the 2023-2024 school year. As stated under Article VI, Section 3 of the Student Government Constitution, Senators shall be apportioned among the academic disciplines according to the percentage of FYE enrollment. These academic disciplines include Career and Technical Education, Sciences and Health Professions & Liberal Arts, and General Education. The ratio being used is 1 senator per 200 students.
Benefits of being a Student Senator include, but are not limited to:
- Senator positions are paid $175 per semester
- Travel opportunities for LEAD MN and student government conferences
- Leadership training and development
- Learning about local, state, and national politics
- Networking with students, staff, faculty, and administrators
- Gaining applicable life skills to help you succeed in, and beyond, college
- Making noticeable change and impact at RCTC
- Creating a network of friends
EXECUTIVE OFFICER POSITIONS
All Executive Officer position descriptions can be found in the Student Government Constitution. The Vice President position is the only available executive officer position for the 2023-2024 academic year. The Vice President position is paid $1900 per semester and has the shared benefits outlined above regarding Student Senator positions. The Vice President is required to complete 10 office hours per week and fulfill the duties outlined in the Student Government Constitution.
RUNNING FOR OFFICE
If you are interested in running for a position, please complete an Intent to Run Form. These forms can be found on this webpage beginning on August 21st when they go active. The Intent to Run Form is due by midnight on Monday, September 4th. There will be an opportunity for candidates to address their fellow students and share about their platform at the What’s Up Wednesday Event Wednesday, September 6th 12:00PM-1:00PM. Elections will take place on D2L all day Monday, September 11th.
Candidates may campaign on campus and will be regulated by the Elections Handbook.
- Lexine Adade (Senator & Vice President Positions)
- Bolt Uselman (Senator & Vice President Positions)
- Mekedelawet Mersha (Senator & Vice President Positions)
- Leo Doan (Senator & Vice President Positions)
VOTING IN THE ELECTION
Any currently enrolled RCTC student will have the ability to vote in the General Election. This is a chance to elect the right student leaders to represent you, the students! Voting will take place through a secure D2L online platform. Follow these simple instructions to vote September 11th, 2023:
- Access rctc.learn.minnstate.edu and log into D2L with your StarID
- Select “View All Courses”
- Find and enter the course that aligns with your first declared major:
- Student Government Fall Election 2023-Liberal Arts and General Education
- Student Government Fall Election 2023- Sciences and Health Profession
- Student Government Fall Election 2023- Career and Technical Education
- Select Content and Materials to read the candidate biographies
- Select Assessments and Vote to vote in the election
Students who apply for a Student Senate seat will be listed under their correct major in the order that they apply.
Career and Technical Education Candidates
Sciences and Health Professions Candidates
Liberal Arts and General Education Candidates
If you are interested in learning more about Student Government, please contact the Student President Maple Lassila at firstname.lastname@example.org.