RCTC serves a large population of transfer students annually, and we’re ready to help you reach your goals whether you intend to transfer credits to RCTC or transfer your earned credits to another college or university. The RCTC campus community is known as a great place to live, work, and go to school. A Rochester Community and Technical College education can change your life.
Discover our academic programs, and how we help students accomplish their dreams through flexible scheduling, affordable tuition, and an unparalleled student life program.
A student who began an academic program at another college or university, but wishes to complete it at RCTC can begin taking classes by submitting the RCTC application form, an official transcript of high school credits, and official transcripts from all colleges previously attended. (RCTC Transfer Standards Policy 3.21)
1. Complete the application for admission.
2. Request official high school transcripts (or a copy of GED).
RCTC admission policy requests all applicants submit an official high school transcript or GED certificate.
3. Request official College transcripts. Send official transcripts from all prior colleges directly to RCTC. See RCTC Credit evaluation below. E-Transcripts: if you have attended or are currently attending one or more Minnesota State institutions (not including the University of Minnesota) and have applied to Rochester, your official transcript from a Minnesota State institution(s) will be electronically retrieved at no cost.
4. RCTC Credit Evaluation. Upon receiving your official transcript(s), a credit evaluation is conducted. Students are notified via e-mail how to access the Degree Audit Report System (DARS) and view how courses are transferred. We strive to complete evaluations within 2-3 weeks of receipt of the official transcript(s). During peak times of the academic year, the turn-around time could increase to 6 weeks.
5. If you are unsure about why judgments were made about specific courses, consult an RCTC academic advisor during orientation. Course equivalency reviews can be requested by completing the Transfer Credit Equivalency Request Form.
Final decisions may be appealed to the Academic Standards Committee by completing an Academic Petition Form.
NOTE: Transcripts cannot be evaluated until you have applied to RCTC.
Options for Alternative Credit.
- Credit for Prior Learning (CPL)
- DSST (DSST)
- College Level Exam Program (CLEP)
- Advanced Placement (AP)
- International Credit Evaluations - RCTC requires transcripts outside the U.S. to be evaluated (and translated when necessary) by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)
- Veterans (Related resources)
- International Baccalaureate (IBO.org)
- Transferology - direct access to course equivalency information for alternate credit (Transferology)
Options to appeal transfer decisions.
The Minnesota State system is committed to students being aware of their rights and responsibilities about credit transfer. These resources can inform your actions:
- Transfer Credit Equivalency Request Form. If you believe a course did not transfer to RCTC as the correct equivalency, complete this form to request reconsideration.
- Academic Petition Form. Final equivalency decisions may be appealed to the Academic Standards Committee by completing an Academic petition.
- Undergraduate transfer course, Part 7, if a student is not satisfied with the college transfer appeal decision, the student may submit a request to the Senior Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs for a system-level appeal of the College's transfer decision.
- Transfer of credit. Rights and Responsibilities.
- MnTransfer.org – Your official guide for seamless transfer in MN higher education.
- Transfer Action Plan– This action plan will help you explore the transfer process. The plan will also help you navigate the resources available to you as you go through transfer.
- Transferology – Gives transfer students direct access to course acceptability, equivalency, and applicability among participating institutions across the United States, enabling students to immediately see how their courses fulfill degree requirements at the desired college or university.
- Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) –Discover how courses transfer satisfies general education requirements.
- Avenues to four-year degrees. View our articulations and transfer pathways to earn a bachelor’s degree.
- Transcript requests. If you are transferring to another Minnesota State institution (not including the University of Minnesota), your official transcript from a Minnesota State institution(s) will be electronically retrieved by that institution at no cost.
- Transfer Rights and Responsibilities– Minnesota State policy 3.39