Part 1. Purpose: This policy articulates the procedures that are followed by Rochester Community and Technical College (RCTC) when it becomes necessary to close the campus or cancel academic or non-academic activities due to inclement weather or other emergency conditions. The attached procedures also describe Minnesota State work conditions that prevail during the time that the campus is closed.
Part 2. DEFINITIONS:
- CLOSING THE CAMPUS: Closing the campus means to cease all operations on campus, other than those operations deemed essential to the protection of life and property. Closing the campus results in the cancellation of classes, student and staff activities and meetings. All general offices are closed. Only essential employees (as defined below) must report to work during their regularly scheduled shifts.
- DELAYED OPENING: Delayed opening refers to opening of all operations at a later time, other than those operations essential to the protection of life and property. Only essential employees (as defined below) must report to work during their regularly scheduled shifts.
- CANCELLATION OF CLASSES: Cancellation of classes (off-campus or on-campus) means to cancel one, several, or all classes, in the absence of officially closing the entire campus.
- CANCELLATION OF NON-ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES: Cancellation of non-academic activities refers to the cancellation of an event such as athletic events, theatrical productions, concerts, or workshops.
- ESSENTIAL EMPLOYEES: Employees designated by the President for the purpose of providing essential services to the College/Campus. The following positions are designated as essential:
- Network Security Lead (Infrastructure/Security Areas)
- Network Admin (Infrastructure/Security Areas)
- Senior Software Development & Data Lead
(in the absence of either a Network or Network Admin as noted above)
- Lead System’s Administrator
- Security Supervisor
- Security Officers
- Plant Maintenance Engineers
- Plant Maintenance Engineer Helpers
- General Repair Workers
- Electricians – Master of Record/Engineer
- Building Services Supervisors
- Sports Center Management Analyst Supervisor
- Sports Center CSS – Intermediate
- General Maintenance Workers
- Building and Grounds Workers
Essential employees are expected to report to campus during an emergency (depending on the nature of the emergency) unless specifically directed by the Appointing Authority or directed by civil emergency/medical authorities not to report for health and safety reasons.
Part 3. Authority:
- The decision to cancel a non-academic event or activity may be delegated to the director of that event or activity, in consultation with his/her supervisor. Any exceptions to closures must be approved by the President, or designee. The decision to close the RCTC campus, cancel classes or other activities, or to have a delayed opening when severe weather conditions or other emergency exists, shall be made by the President, or designee.
- The closure of state agencies by the Commissioner of the Department of Employee Relations does not apply to Minnesota State employees.
- The Governor of the State of Minnesota has emergency power to issue an executive order to change the work schedule or adjust the leave rules of all executive branch employees in case of natural disaster or other emergencies (M.S. Sec. 12.21). This includes Minnesota State employees.
Last Updated: 12/2/2022