Residency and Tuition Rate Determination

Residency and Tuition Rate Determination

What is a “non-resident tuition rate”?
Because RCTC is a public college, the State of Minnesota provides substantial funding for its operations. For every dollar a student pays, the State of Minnesota pays almost two dollars to the college. The state has determined that non-residents will pay more for tuition. Being charged non-resident rates indicates that you are not viewed as a Minnesota resident under current state regulations.

Why am I being charged non-resident rates?
When you applied for admission to the college, we asked you to report your state of residency. If you told us that you are not a Minnesota resident or if you did not provide any answer, you were automatically reported as a non-resident student. Further, if you reported that you have been a resident of Minnesota for less than 12 months, state regulations require that we report your status as non-resident. If at any time you notify the college that your permanent home address is located outside of Minnesota, you will be considered a non-resident student.

Please note that the regulations for establishing residency differ for financial aid purposes. For example, a person who is not considered a resident for tuition purposes may be considered a Minnesota resident for state grant qualification. These are the regulations for establishing tuition at all public MN colleges:

  • To be considered an in-state student, you must have indicated that you were a MN resident for one full year prior to applying to the college
  • If you are a dependent minor and your parents/guardians were residing in MN at the time of your application for admission to the college you may qualify for in-state tuition rates
  • If you have been re-located to MN due to a job-transfer you may qualify for in-state tuition rates
  • If you are actively in the armed services and have been stationed in MN you may qualify for in-state tuition rates.

Establishing Domicile in Minnesota:
Students who have lived in Minnesota for one full year, and who did not move to the state for the purpose of attending college, may appeal for in-state tuition rates by demonstrating domicile in Minnesota before the beginning of any academic term. Such appeals require a preponderance of supporting evidence to document residence in Minnesota for at least one full year. Falsification of any information so as to obtain resident tuition rates is a serious offense and subjects the student to suspension, payment of monies owed, or both.

Students wishing to make such an appeal should begin by completing the Establishing Domicile form.