Policy: Transfer Standards (3.21.1)

See PDF copy of this policy.

 (System Policy 3.21 – Undergraduate Credit Transfer)

Part 1. Purpose

RCTC will evaluate college transcripts provided by incoming transfer students and post transfer credit to the student’s RCTC transcript in accordance with current MnSCU policy.


Part 2. Guidelines

Subpart 1. RCTC will accept in transfer, for full credit, college-parallel general education courses offered by colleges with regional accreditation. Regional accreditation for this policy is defined as the accreditation conferred by the Higher Learning Commission, or by parallel accrediting agencies in other regions of the United States.

Subpart 2. RCTC will accept in transfer, for full credit, parallel college-level vocational or technical courses offered by colleges with regional accreditation.

Subpart 3. RCTC will review coursework from non-regionally accredited institutions on a course-by-course basis through the Transfer Equivalency Request process.

Subpart 4. Coursework being transferred into RCTC must have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.000 from each transferring institution.  Acceptance of MnTC courses, goals, and grades from MnSCU institutions will follow the MnSCU Minnesota Transfer Curriculum Policy. MnTC courses with a grade of D will be accepted, however, a minimum cumulative MnTC GPA of 2.0 is required for recognition of completion of the entire MnTC.

Subpart 5. Grade qualifiers, minus (-) and plus (+) will not affect how a grade is transferred into RCTC.  Grades with the qualifier will be accepted as the letter grade earned (I.E. C- = C and C+ = C.)

Subpart 6. The entire transcript will be reviewed upon application to a program with selective admission criteria.

Subpart 7. RCTC will accept the completion of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution as meeting general education requirements for the AA degree.  General education elective requirements will be met for all other programs with the exception that specific general education courses identified by a program will still be required.

Subpart 8. RCTC requires all students transferring courses from a university outside of the United States to have their foreign coursework evaluated by a NACES approved professional agency.  An official copy of a NACES approved agency evaluation is required for a transfer evaluation.

Subpart 9. An official foreign credit evaluation stating that a student has earned the equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree shall be awarded completion of general education electives.  English composition courses must be completed from a U.S. regionally accredited institution.  Specific general education courses required in a program must be completed regardless of the previous degree earned.

Part 2. Procedure

It is the responsibility of the student to provide an official transcript of the academic record to Rochester Community and Technical College for transfer evaluation.  If a transfer equivalency review is requested, it is the student’s responsibility to provide course syllabi, outlines, textbook lists, etc., for evaluation.  In the matter of determining the equivalency of a course taken at another post secondary institution to a course offered by RCTC, the recommendation of the department concerned will be solicited.


Course equivalency reviews can be requested by completing the Transfer Credit Equivalency Form.  Final decisions may be appealed to the Academic Standards Committee by completing an Academic Petition.


Date of Implementation:   Immediate

Date of Adoption:   6/9/97;

Revisions:   02/08/2011; 02/6/14 (Updated to align with the MnSCU Smart Transfer Plan Progress Report)


According to MnSCU Procedure 3.21.1 Undergraduate Course Credit Transfer, Part 7, if a student is not satisfied with the college transfer appeal decision, the student may submit a request to the Senior Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs for a system level appeal of the College transfer decision. See MnSCU System Level Transfer Appeal Form.


Additional transfer resource information may be found at the MnSCU Transfer Resource Center.