Study Abroad FAQs



What is Travel Study? What is Study Abroad?

Travel Study and Study Abroad are two different learning opportunities. Travel Study and Study Abroad involve participation in credit classes with the purpose of earning academic credit related to your educational goals.

At Rochester Community and Technical College, we administer two types of study abroad programs:

  1. Travel study programs involve courses with an off campus location within the United States.
  2. Study Abroad programs involve courses that offer an international experience.

Where can I study?

Rochester Community and Technical College offers a variety of international educational programs each academic year. Please check the websites below to explore upcoming destinations and educational opportunities. Remember that most programs are open to all language levels, so participants are not restricted based upon language proficiency.

If you don’t find a destination you like, consider looking at the Minnesota State College and University (MnSCU) website for other opportunities.

Who is eligible to participate in Study Abroad programs?

Rochester Community and Technical College students can apply for enrollment in any of the college’s programs. Faculty associated with each program can provide detailed information about the itinerary and if there are any physical limitations related to the program.

How much does Travel Study or Study Abroad cost?

The answer to this question depends on the destination, length of the program, airfare and land transportation, lodging and other associated costs. In general, students will pay tuition and fees at the same rate as if you were taking courses on campus. In addition to course costs, some meals and excursions may be incurred. Study abroad course fees do not cover personal expenses or independent travel expenses.

Are there Scholarships for Study Abroad?

Yes! We encourage you to contact the Rochester Community and Technical College Foundation/Scholarship Office to discuss all scholarship opportunities for which you are eligible. You may also consider applying for Federal financial aid through the FAFSA application. Another option is to learn about the Gilman Scholarship which is specifically designed for Study Abroad student participants.

Gilman Scholarship

The Gilman Scholarship is a federally funded program to support Students at 2 and 4 year colleges and universities to study abroad. Awards of up to $5,000 are granted to students participating in school-approved programs depending on the length of study and student financial need. US citizens who are receiving a federal Pell Grant as a part of the federal financial aid award (FAFSA) are eligible to apply.