- Students must be admitted to the college and indicate Alcohol and Drug Counseling Associates (AS) or Certificate as their major.
- Students who have questions regarding practicum placements are encouraged to talk with RCTC’s Alcohol & Drug Counseling program lead and faculty.
- Students may not start their practicum until they have completed all prerequisite guidelines, met with their RCTC-ADC instructor, and received written permission from them to enroll in that class.
- RCTC has two practicum classes, each one is 440 hours in length. The total number of hours needed for licensing is 880 hours.
- Students are encouraged to purchase personal liability insurance.
- Students will work under the guidance of a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor or other qualified professional, while in their practicums.
- Students must comply with all licensing, college, and internship site policies, statutes, rules and regulations while interning or they may be discharged from the program or practicum site.
- Students must pass a MN background check / study prior to starting their practicum.
- MN DHS information on background checks:
- Disqualifying offenses:
- Students are required to find their own practicum placement.
- Practicum sites may have additional restrictions, such as passing a federal background check or having 2 years of sobriety.
- Practicum sites usually only take interns who have similar philosophical theories and lifestyles as their agency.
- Please see the Minnesota Board of Behavioral Health Therapy website for questions regarding licensing. The link is: http://mn.gov/boards/behavioral-health/