Alcohol and Drug Counseling Technician Admission Criteria

The following Human Service (HS): Alcohol and Drug Counseling (ADC) classes are open to any RCTC students. If one of the classes listed below, sound interesting to you, feel free to enroll in that class.

  1. HS 1710:  Foundations of Alcohol and Drug Counseling (3 cr)
  2. HS 1720:  Co-occurring Disorders (3 cr)
  3. HS 1730:  Screening and Assessment of Disorders (2 cr)
  4. HS 1740:  Pharmacology of Addiction (2 cr)
  5. HS 1750:  Case Management and Ethics (3 cr)
  6. HS 1760:  Multicultural Aspects of Addiction (3 cr)
  7. HS 1765:  Counseling Theory and Practice (3 cr)
  8. HS 1781:  Crisis Intervention and Prevention (3 cr)
  9. HS 1782:  Addiction, Society, and the Justice System (1 cr)
  10. HS 1783:  At Risk Children, Youth, and their Families (3 cr)
  11. HS 1785: Overview of Applied Behavioral Analysis (1 cr)

The following two, Human Services (HS): Alcohol and Drug Counseling (ADC) classes are only available to RCTC students who have passed a MN DHS Background check and have met prerequisite coursework for those two classes.

  1. HS 1770:  Alcohol and Drug Counseling Practicum I (3 cr)
  2. HS 1780:  Alcohol and Drug Counseling Practicum II (3 cr)

Students who are interested in pursuing Licensure as an Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC) need to do the following:

  1. Apply to RCTC and indicate Alcohol and Drug Counseling Associates (AS) or Certificate degree as their major.
  2. Comply with RCTC’s general admissions requirements, including but not limited to, taking an entrance exam, handing in required health forms, and completing an orientation session.
  3. Meet with the Alcohol and Drug Counseling program leader or their academic advisor regularly to ensure proper program planning.
    1. Students can start the licensing track in the summer (if classes are offered), fall or spring semester.
    2. Full-time and part-time programming options are available.

Students who have similar or like classes should inquire about course substitution, course equivalents, or test out options. Please contact the alcohol and drug counseling program leader or one of its faculty members if you have any questions.