Applications are closed for the 2023-2023 Academic Year. The application for the 2024-2025 Academic Year will open in January 2024.
Program Admission Eligibility Requirements
The Dental Hygiene Program Admission is competitive and requires a special application to apply. Applications open each spring for admission to the fall cohort, a maximum of 16 students are admitted each fall. Applicants are scored using the point system below. Points will only be awarded for courses completed with a “C” or better. Admission to the program is primarily based on a total accumulation of points earned from completed classes prior to the admission deadline.
- Students with no prior college experience are NOT eligible for admission into Dental Hygiene.
- All transfer credits must be equivalent to the program’s required courses. Transfer classes must be added to your Degree Audit Report by the application close date and all transfer credit equivalency requests must be completed and approved revisions made to your Degree Audit Report by the application close date to be counted for points. It is the student’s responsibility to assure transcripts are current and these processes have been completed.
- Applicants must have completed at minimum 2 classes from the required sciences – BIOL 1217 (A&P1), 1218 (A&P2), 2021 (Microbiology) and CHEM 1117 (Organic Chemistry).
- All program required courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C. Including transfer courses.
- Applicants must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.00
- All required science courses must be completed within the past five years. This is calculated from the Fall Semester in which you are applying.
- Raw science GPA of 2.5. Raw science GPA is calculated using any and all attempts within the most recent 5-year period in BIOL 1217, 1218, 2021 and CHEM 1117 (or equivalent).
- If accepted to the program, accepted students must declare Dental Hygiene as their major and end-date all other majors not currently in pursuit of.
Admission Point System:
Although all of the above requirements are necessary for admittance, please be advised that having all the requirements does not imply acceptance into the Dental Hygiene Program. The Dental Hygiene Program receives many applications annually for the 16 available positions thus, admission is competitive.
Program Accreditation: American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation. The Commission on Dental Accreditation is the specialized accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education to accredit programs which provide basic preparation for licensure or certification in dentistry and the related disciplines.